Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Flight

Whew! Listen to this itinerary:
I have an 8:45 a.m. flight to Atlanta to start with this Saturday. I will have to amuse myself in the airport gift shops all the way until 6:35 p.m. when I catch my plan to Chicago. At 1 in the morning I board my flight that will take me to Korea. I will make it in at about 5 a.m. Korean time (about 4 p.m. Florida time) and I will be flying through Asiana Airlines.

My suitcase is already packed and now it is an anxious wait until Saturday. Friday is my 22nd birthday, and I plan on baking my traditional birthday carrot cake from scratch (in my brand new KitchenAid stand mixer-woot!) and grillin some of the absolutely fabulous red snapper that my Uncle Ed gave to us.

This past month has been the perfect opportunity to catch up with my parents and tear through some fun summer reading, but I am ready to be working again. My first month in Korea is akin to being back in college. I will be living in a dorm at a Korean univesity, taking classes on how to teach in a Korean Elementary school while simultaneously learning the language. I guess the TaLK program has had some bad experiences before because we have a curfew for the entire month of August- be in no later than 11 p.m.!

When we land, we have to undergo a medical examination for- you guessed it- Swine Flu. We also have to get tested for all kinds of diseases too including HIV, hepatitis, malaria... everything!

Since orientation doesn't begin until the 4th, it's looking like I will have 2 days to get situated, so I plan on going to the Korean equivalent of Walmart called "E-mart" to do some critical shopping: hair dryer, hair straightener and a pillow :o) I'm also going to try to open up a bank account and russel up a cell phone if I have time.

I know you all have been waiting with baited breath for my departure ;) and the day is finally here! So keep reading because things are about to get a whole lot more interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck, cuz! You are going to do GREAT!!! If you ever need to chat about the whole "living abroad" thing, please feel free to set up a Skype date with me. I've probably felt the same way!! Sending you happy Korean thoughts!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun times ahead...after that hellish flight plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do great..... I just know it!
    Be careful and Be safe over there.


    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete