Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Apartment

Click HERE for a video tour of my apartment.

Below is my address in both English and Korean. I believe it should be fine if you simply write my address in English. However, to be on the safe side, maybe use the Korean version as well. You can print out the Korean version and tape it to the envelope/whatever or laugh at your inability to write it as I just did. :o) Good old-fashioned snail mail is much appreciated. I would love to hear from everyone!

Katy Snell
PYUN-AN HOUSE 300, 1000-365, IGOK-DONG,
DALSEO-GU, DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA
704-929

Korean version:

대한민국 대구시 달서구 이곡동 1000-365
편안오피스텔 300호
704-929
Katy Snell


Remember the girl I mentioned in my last post? Let me explain a little more about Seong Ji. She is my Korean co-teacher, so she will be my translator in class. Seong Ji (I gave her the nickname of SJ) was placed with me through TaLK, so she is not required to be anything more than a coworker.. but that has not been the case.

Every day, SJ calls me, e-mails me and basically makes sure that I am alive and well. I enjoy her company because she is the epitome of a Korean woman: not a smidgen over 100 pounds, pale white skin and exceedingly demure and modest, often covering her mouth and bowing her head when she speaks which is a sign of humbleness in Korean women.

I love SJ because despite our immense culture clash, I can tell that she is a wonderful, caring person who wants to be my best friend in Korea more than anything else. She helped me move all of my things, negotiated with the gas company (she put my utilities in HER name!), showed me how the garbage system works, took me to the bank, took me food shopping, got me my address, hails taxis for me... the list is embarrassingly long. Not to mention that it is exhausting to communicate with each other. While SJ is fluent, I have to use dramatic hand/facial gestures to make sure my point is understood. Cliches, euphemisms, metaphors, similes, references to any type of Americana and large words are all lost on her, so basic speaking becomes physically taxing. This will improve with time once we get to know each other better, but I have a perfect example of the sort of misunderstanding that can happen between us: A very common expression used among friends in America is to say "Oh shut up!" or "Be quiet" and laugh afterward. I noticed a horrified expression on SJ's face, and when I asked what was wrong she wanted to know what that person had done to offend me so deeply. Often, SJ will take words at face value, so when she hears "shut up", she thought I was telling my friends off!

By the end of the moving day, I could tell that SJ was bone-weary and near collapse from chauffeuring me all over Daegu. But she never said a peep and was nothing but smiles from 8 in the morning to 8 at night. When it came time for her to leave, I gave her a hug which surprised her. I thought I had been too forward, but then she looked at me, smiled and said "We will be good friends, Katy. I want be your friend but also your mom in Korea make sure you ok all the time. We will learn much from each other." I don't think I can describe her personality any better than with that statement :o)

Sorry for such a short post, but I am busy unpacking and food shopping. I plan to go to the grocery to get things to make SJ spaghetti bolognese for dinner. While it seems like a plain meal, it is VERY difficult to find decent Italian food in Korea and the ingredients for the meal will probably scalp me for around $30. But SJ is excited and it is the least I can do to show her my gratitude. I will make sure to take pictures of our dinner night together.

2 comments:

  1. SJ sounds wonderful. I hope you guys have a great dinner.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. p nut
    your new place looks so modern and i know will soon be soo you
    we would love to meet sj she sounds so sweet
    great to see and hear you in the video
    love you
    mom and dad

    ReplyDelete